The Land Potential-Knowledge System (LandPKS; landpotential.org) team is happy to announce that we have released a new and improved version of the LandPKS app. This new version is a result of months of hard work for everyone on our team, as well as helpful feedback from our users around the world. The LandPKS app helps users make more sustainable land management decisions by assisting users to collect geo-located data about their soils, vegetation and site characteristics; and returning back to users useful results and information about their site. It also provides free cloud storage and sharing, which means that you and others can access your data from any computer from our Data Portal at portal.landpotential.org. The LandPKS app does not require a data connection to be used, and users can upload their data when they next have connectivity. The LandPKS app includes two modules: LandInfo and LandCover. The LandInfo module walks a user through how to determine the texture of their soil, which is critical information for smallholder farmers and can help them plant crops suitable to their soil type. The LandCover module walks a user through how to collect vegetation cover data, important for vegetation monitoring and ecosystem restoration. The LandPKS app Version 3.0 is free and available now on the Google Play Store and iTunes Store.
- Updated and improved user interface
- Easy navigation between data input and report (results) screens
- Graphical LandCover results including cover trends over time
- Graphical LandInfo results with a table of texture and rock fragment volume by depth
- Available Water Holding Capacity and Infiltration calculations for your soil
- Upload data to the Data Portal at any time by hitting the “Synchronize Now?” button
Other Improved Features Include:
- A simple, primarily graphics-based interface that minimizes language and literacy requirements
- Embedded tutorials and explanations to guide the user through the app
- Offline data collection
- Unlimited access to stored data via our Data Portal at http://portal.landpotential.org
Learn more about the LandPKS app on the landpotential.org website. Training resources, including guides and online trainings, are also available on the website. The LandPKS app was developed by the LandPKS Team for the Land-Potential Knowledge System (LandPKs) with support from USAID and USDA-ARS. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions, comments or feedback.