The Great Lakes Region (GLR) and the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) are characterized by an abundance of natural resources, including significant deposits of gold, cobalt, copper, diamonds, tantalum, and tin. However, the potential of these resources to contribute to economic growth and sustainable development has remained untapped.
The goal of the Capacity Building for Responsible Minerals Trade (CBRMT) project is to strengthen the capacity of the Democratic Republic of Congo and regional institutions to transparently regulate a critical mass of the trade in strategic minerals in eastern DRC in order to transform the region’s mineral wealth into economic growth and development. The project supports programming in responsible mineral access, trade, and chain of custody related tin, tantalum, tungsten, (3Ts) and gold. The project is implemented in three locations with a headquarters in Kinshasa, an Eastern Congo field office in Goma supervising the conflict free minerals trade, and an office in Bujumbura, Burundi, the headquarters of the International Council on the Great Lakes (ICGLR). Partners include Pact and RESOLVE, as well as a number of Congolese organizations dedicated to the responsible minerals trade.
- Improve the Legal and policy framework for mining sector in the GDRC
- Strengthen the capacity of key actors in conflict-free minerals supply chain in the GDRC at national, regional and private sector levels
- Assess the efficacy of conflict-free mineral certification and traceability systems, and scale up systems for the 3Ts and Gold
- Improve credibility and capacity of the International Conference on the Great Lakes Region and in particular it independent mineral chain auditing capabilities
- Improved legal and policy framework for the GDRC mining sector with respect to artisanal and small-scale mining an public private partnerships that can support it
- Capacity of key actors in conflict free minerals supply chain developed to enable transparent monitoring of operations, increased incomes for artisanal miners and exporters, and increased revenue for GDRC
- Conflict free mineral certification and traceability systems scaled up to mitigate the impact of smuggling and insecurity in at least 250-400 more mine sites
- International Conference on the Great Lakes Region credibility and capacity improved to participate and audit membership compliance with conflict free mineral certification and traceability systems